The Bottom Line
- Stylish Design
- Lots of Upgrade Options
- Expensive for Specifications
- Poor Integrated Graphics
- Intel Pentium M 1.4 GHz Processor
- 256MB PC2100 DDR Memory (1GB Maximum)
- 20 GB 5,400rpm Hard Drive
- 24x CD-RW Combo Optical Drive
- 14.1" SXGA+ LCD and Intel Extreme 2 Integrated Graphics with 64MB Shared Memory
- AC'97 Audio
- v.90 56Kbps Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, and 802.11b Wireless
- Three USB 2.0 Ports, One FireWire Port and One Type II PC Card Slot
- 12" x 10.6" x 1.5" @ 4.9 lbs. (w/o battery)
- Windows XP Home Operating System
Guide Review - Alienware Sentia
5/24/04 - Alienware is one of the premiere manufacturers of performance gaming computer systems, but the Alienware Sentia breaks away from this trend. The Senta is a thin and light notebook that is very different from their other products.
The Sentia is based on the Intel Centrino package, including an Intel Pentium M 1.4GHz CPU standard and the 802.11b wireless. This provides the Sentia with good computing performance and exceptional battery life. However, matched to this is only 256MB of PC2100 memory. This can limited the performance as it is the minimum recommeded amount for Windows XP.
Storage is very lacking for the base Sentia system. The unit only comes with a 20GB hard drive standard that is far below average for the thin and light notebook segment. It does ship with a 24x CD-RW Combo now over the previous DVD-ROM, which is an improvement.
Graphics are a mixed bag for the Sentia. The 14.1" SXGA+ display is very good, but it uses the standard Intel Extreme 2 integrated graphics. This solution is not suitable for gaming at all, limiting the use of the Sentia and really abandoning their core customers.
Of course, many of these features (except the graphics) can be upgraded to improve the performance of the Sentia, but the problem is the cost. This system is already above average in price, but below average for its specifications. Alienware really needs to reconsider the Sentia's market position if they want it to be really successful.