The Bottom Line
Those looking for a highly reliable thin and light system with a good mix of performance and don't need much in terms of graphics will be well suited with the IBM ThinkPad R40.
- Good Pricing
- Excellent Battery Life
- Very Sturdy Design
- Intel Pentium 4 M 1.3 GHz Processor
- 256 MB PC2100 Memory (2 GB Maximum)
- 40GB Hard Drive
- 24x CD-RW Combo Optical Drive
- 15" XGA LCD and ATI Radeon Mobility M7 Graphics with 32MB
- SoundMAX AC'97 Audio
- v.92 56kbps Modem and 10/100 Fast Ethernet
- 802.11b Wireless
- Two USB 2.0 Ports, One FireWire Port and One Type III PC Card Slot
- 12.3" x 10" x 1.5" @ 5.6 lbs.
Guide Review - IBM Thinkpad R40
11/12/03 - With the recent announcement of the IBM ThinkPad R50, its not clear how much longer the R40 model will be available. Thankfully, the R40 still has a lot to offer. It is based around the Intel Centrino package with a Pentium M processor and 802.11b wireless. The systems memory and storage capacities are average for the thin and light category, coming with 256MB of memory and 40GB of hard drive space. It comes with a very large 15" LCD display that is very comfortable to use with its XGA resolution. It is dissapointing that IBM would chose to use the older ATI Radeon Mobility M7 graphics processor, but it will suffice for most users. Those who travel often will be happy with the construction of the ThinkPad R40. This is one solid notebook computer that should hold up well over time. It makes for a solid choice for a person who travels frequently.