The Bottom Line
- Large LCD Screen
- Integrated TV Tuner
- Remote Control Stored in Wireless Keyboard
- Older Generation Wireless Networking
- Bezel Edge Too Large Around Screen
- Heavy Use of Glossy Plastics That Show Smudges and Scratches
- Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 Dual Core Deskto Processor
- 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory
- 320GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer DVD Burner
- 22-inch WSXGA+ (1680x1050) Display with NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS Graphics
- Intel HDA Audio with Built-In Stereo Speakers
- Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g Wireless
- Six USB 2.0, DVI, 6-in-1 Card Reader
- 21" x 18.6" x 8.9"
- Vista Home Premium
Guide Review - Averatec D1002UHCE-1 All-In-One Desktop PC
9/23/08 - Many of the all-in-one desktop computer systems rely on mobile processors for their lower power consumption and heat generation. This makes them easier to integrate into the smaller cases of the monitor. Averatec has decided to use an Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 desktop processor for the D1002UHCE-1 system. This is a fairly low end desktop processor, but it does provide an equal level of performance to those using mobile processors.
The design of the D1002UHCE-1 is very reminiscent of the Apple iMac but with a black plastic case. This gives it a clean overall look and feel, but it does have a few drawbacks. First, the glossy plastic used all around the computer easily picks up scratches and smudges. Owners need to be careful when moving it to avoid these issues. Second, the screen bezel is much wider on the left and right sides of the screen compared to the cleaner looking iMac design. Averatec could have tried to either reduce the dimension to better fit the screen or used a larger screen.
One great aspect of the D1002UHCE-1 is the multimedia capabilities. It comes with a built in analog and digital TV tuner. This is a feature that is not found on many competing all-in-one systems or is only found in models much more expensive. Averatec included a media remote to use with the system and found a novel way of storing it inside of the wireless keyboard unit. This helps keep the clutter of the desktop down.
One area where the D1002UHCE-1 falls behind most other all-in-one PCs is the wireless networking. The system only features the 802.11b/g wireless networking standards. While this is the most common out there, it lacks the speed and performance of the new draft-n networks to handle higher bandwith items such as streaming video.