The Bottom Line
- Large Wall Mountable Touchscreen Display
- Four Gigabytes of Memory
- Media Drive Bay For Easy Portable Expansion
- Could Really Use Blu-Ray Compatible Drive
- More Expensive Than Average All-In-One PC
- Intel Core 2 Duo T5850 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 4GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory
- 500GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
- 25.5-inch WUXGA (1920x1200) Touchscreen LCD with NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS 256MB Graphics
- Intel HDA Audio with Built-In Stereo Speakers
- 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless, Bluetooth 2.0
- Five USB 2.0, FireWire, 5-in-1 Card Reader, Digital/Analog TV Tuner, Pocket Media Bay
- 26" x 19.6" x 5.5"
- Vista Home Premium 64-bit, TouchSmart Suite, AutoProducer Basic, Cyberlink DVD, Works 9, Norton Internet Security 2008
Guide Review - HP TouchSmart IQ804 All-In-One Desktop PC
9/24/08 - HP's TouchSmart systems really set themselves apart from other all-in-one desktop systems. The built-in touch screen displays and user interface make for a much different experience. The custom UI does an excellent job of linking together common applications, media and tasks that really builds a layer beyond what Vista's interface provides and without the need of a mouse.
The biggest change with the new TouchSmart IQ804 is the screen. Previous models features a 22-inch screen that was average for the market. Now HP packs in a very large 25.5-inch screen that is one of the largest and highest resolutions on the market. The 1920x1200 resolution is able to handle the full 1080p high definition video. This is supplemented by the inclusion of digital analog tuner that lets it be a media center. The VESA compatible mounting points also let it easily mount onto any wall, saving space from a desk or counter.
With all these great media features, it would have been nice to see HP include a Blu-ray compatible player with the TouchSmart IQ804. Those looking for such a feature will have to wait for the higher priced IQ816 model that will come with a Blu-ray writer drive and a few other improvements. With the price being what it is, it seems like the Blu-Ray should have been included.
One other nice feature added to the TouchSmart IQ804 is the Pocket Media bay. This allows users to easily supplement the already large 500GB drive with an HP portable Pocket Media drive that adds additional space but also can be removed for storage on the go.
Overall, the TouchSmart IQ804 is a very good system that offers a lot for an all-in-one desktop PC, but its price puts it on the higher end and the lack of a Blu-ray drive makes it fall short of a full media center system.