The Bottom Line
- Four Gigabytes of Memory
- Faster Core 2 Duo Processor
- High Definition Rated Integrated Graphics
- Glossy Plastic Case Hard to Keep Clean of Prints and Marks
- Odd Hard Drive Partitioning
- Slower DDR2 Hampers Performance Slightly
- Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 4GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory
- 250GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
- 15.6" WXGA (1366x768) LCD Display With 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
- Intel GMA 4500MHD Integrated Graphics
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless
- Three USB 2.0, VGA, ExpressCard/54, 5-in-1 Card Reader
- 15.1" x 9.8" x 1.5" @ 6 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium 64-bit, NTI Media Maker, PowerDirector, McAfee Internet Security
Guide Review - Acer Aspire AS5735-6694 15.6-inch Budget Laptop PC
Apr 13 2009 - Most of the budget laptop's these days are sticking to the less expensive Pentium Dual-Core processors. Acer has elected to use the Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 with its 2MB of cache and faster bus speeds for improved performance over most budget laptops. The system is held back slightly by the PC2-5300 DDR2 instead of faster PC2-6400. At least Acer makes up for this by including a full 4GB of memory to prevent any slowdowns due to needing to use virtual memory.
The storage on the Aspire AS5375-6694 is pretty typical of a budget laptop. The 250GB hard drive suffers from Acer's odd partitioning though. They split the drive into two partitions, one for the OS and data and the other for backup. They really should partition the drives to be more efficient instead of wasting so much space for the recovery data. Users would be best advised to make the backup media with the DVD burner and then repartitioning.
Graphics on the Aspire AS5375-6694 are slightly above average. The 15.6-inch display uses the 16:9 ratio with a 1366x768 resolution instead of the 16:10 1280x800. The color gamut support is fairly low at 60% though. This gives it a bit wider display but it more in line with DVD and HD video streams. The Intel 4500MHD integrated graphics certainly won't let it play PC games well at all, but it is rated for HD video playback unlike the less expensive 4500M.
The case may be troublesome for some users. The glossy plastic gives it a very polished look when it is first pulled out. This style of design easily attracts and shows of fingerprints and marks that generally requires frequently cleaning. The three USB ports all being on right side may also cause problems for peripherals that use larger connectors that could block other ports.