The Bottom Line
- Ability to Burn Labels to Label Flash Media
- Lacks FireWire Port
- Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2330 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory
- 160GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner with Label Flash
- 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) Wide LCD Display
- Intel GMA X3100 Integrated Graphics
- v.92 56kbps Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11b/g Wireless
- Four USB 2.0, ExpressCard/54, 5-in-1 Card Reader
- 14.1" x 10.4" x 1.4" @ 6.2 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium, MS Works, Power2Go
Guide Review - Gateway MT6728 Budget Laptop PC
4/10/08 – Gateway offers a variety of notebook computers for sale through retail outlet's. The MT6728 is an exclusive offering through Best Buy stores, but similarly equipped units with slightly different model numbers are available at other retailers. The best part about the Gateway MT6728 though is that it is very competitively priced putting it a good bit below other budget notebook offerings with similar features.
The MT6728 is powered by the Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2330 mobile processor. This is a very popular option for budget notebooks as is the most common Intel processor in the sub-$750 segment. It provides good performance for general productivity applications but does fall behind other Intel offerings on slightly more expensive Core 2 based systems. The 2GB of PC2-5300 DDR2 memory is standard and helps it run the Vista operating system without much problem.
Storage is pretty much average for a budget notebook. It comes equipped with a 160GB hard drive for storing applications and data. A DVD burner handles all playback and recording of CD and DVD media including dual layered versions. It also has the ability to burn labels directly to Label Flash compatible media.
The real big drawback to the Gateway MT6728 is the lack of a FireWire port. This is an essential port for those looking to do desktop video editing and connecting a digital video camcorder for the video transfers. If you absolutely need this function in your laptop computer, you will want to look at other options on the market.