The Bottom Line
- Three Gigabytes Memory
- Lower Performance AMD Processor
- Slower Hard Drive
- AMD Turion X2 TL-60 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 3GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory
- 200GB 4200rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner with LightScribe
- 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) Wide LCD with 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
- NVIDIA GeForce 7150M Integrated Graphics
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11b/g Wireless, Bluetooth
- Three USB 2.0, FireWire, ExpressCard/54, 5-in-1 Card Reader
- 14.1" x 10.1" x 1.6" @ 6.1 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium, Works, Photosmart Essentials, AutoProducer, Cyberlink DVD Suite, Norton Internet Security
Guide Review - HP Pavilion dv6910us 15.4-inch Budget Laptop PC
10/6/08 - HP has made a number of choices to keep the costs down on the Pavilion dv6910us, but this has compromised its performance versus other laptops. The key aspect to this is the use of the AMD Turion X2 TL-60 processor. It is dual core for decent multitasking and has good overall power profile but it lacks the performance compared to Intel's Core 2 Duo processors, especially in multimedia applications. HP does make up for this by including three gigabytes of DDR2 memory to let it run smoothly with the Vista operating system.
Another compromise that HP makes with the Pavilion dv6910us is with the storage. The system uses a larger 200GB hard drive which gives it more storage space. However, the drive uses a slower 4200rpm spin rate. This results in slower data access times compared to many other budget laptops. HP does offer DVD burners with the LightScribe label burner feature with compatible media.
HP does offer Bluetooth in addition to the Wi-Fi networking on the Pavilion dv6910us. This allows the device to network with other Bluetooth devices and peripherals. This is especially useful for those that might want to tether their notebook to a cellphone for wireless network access when in locations that the can't get Wi-Fi. It is also useful for using wireless peripherals such as a keyboard or mouse.
While HP may market the Pavilion dv6910us as being able to play games because of its GeForce 7150M graphics, be warned that it is not much better than the integrated graphics like those found in other budget systems. This is because the GeForce 7150M is an integrated solution as well. Don't expect it to really play any modern games with any speed, detail or resolution.