The Bottom Line
- Highly Portable
- Bluetooth Support
- Available in Five Different Colors
- Does Not Support 802.11n Wireless
- Older Chipset Reduces Performance
- Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 4GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory
- 160GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
- 12.1" WXGA (1280x800) Display With 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
- Intel GMA X3100 Integrated Graphics
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g Wireless, Bluetooth
- Three USB 2.0, FireWire, VGA, ExpressCard/54, 7-in-1 Card Reader
- 11.8" x 8.6" x 1.4" @ 4.2 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Guide Review - Hypersonic Avenger AG2 12-inch Budget Laptop PC
Apr 15 2009 - Hypersonic's Avenger AG2 is based around an older Intel chipset. Because of this, it has the disadvantage of being able to only use PC2-5300 DDR2 memory and the GMA X3100 integrated graphics. This prevents the system from being quite as fast as newer budget systems or running high definition video but for many this won't be a concern.
Since the Avenger AG2 is a customizable system, the components and price will vary when the system is ordered. Base system prices are as low as $550 but the tested configuration was just under $700. Along with the customization of the processor, memory and hard drive, users can also select one of five different colors: black, blue, pink, white and yellow.
One advantage the Avenger AG2 has over other budget laptops is the processor. All version include one of the Core 2 Duo models that provide a good level of performance over the Pentium Dual-Core CPUs used in many budget systems. They are hampered somewhat by the use of PC2-5300 DDR2 memory, but the 4GB should prevent any real slowdowns from occurring.
To keep the costs down, the Avenger AG2 uses a smaller 160GB hard drive compared to the more standard 250GB drive used in most budget laptops. Users can of course upgrade this to a larger drive or even solid state drives, but this adds to the base cost of the system. All versions use a dual layer DVD burner for the optical drive.
Networking is mixed for the Avenger AG2. It only uses the older 802.11b/g wireless networking standards that prevents it from using the higher speed draft-n. On the other hand, the system comes equipped with Bluetooth standard for attaching compatible wireless peripherals.
Those looking for a highly portable budget laptop can certainly use the Avenger AG2.