The Bottom Line
- Three Gigabytes Memory
- Improved Integrated Graphics
- Slower AMD Based Processor
- Lacks FireWire Port
- Lots of Trialware
- AMD Athlon X2 QL-60 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- Three Gigabytes PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory
- 160GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner with LabelFlash
- 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) Wide LCD Display
- ATI Radeon Integrated Graphics
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11b/g Wireless
- Three USB 2.0, ExpressCard/54, 5-in-1 Card Reader
- 14.3" x 10.6" x 1.5" @ 5.5 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium, Works 9, Ulead DVD Factory, Norton 360
Guide Review - Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5874 15.4-inch Budget Laptop PC
10/10/08 - Toshiba's Satellite L305D models are based around the AMD line of processors rather than the L305 models that use Intel. In the case of the L305D-S5874, an AMD Athlon X2 QL-60 dual core mobile processor. Now, this processor doesn't have the same level of performance as the Intel Core 2 Duo processors found in many other budget laptops. Still, most people don't really require very much unless they are dealing with digital video or PC gaming. The three gigabytes of DDR2 memory at least let it run the Vista operating system smoothly and without issue.
Speaking of digital video, the Satellite L305D has a very limited set of peripheral ports including no FireWire port at all. This prevents the system from being used to pull digital video from digital camcorders via this popular interface. Many companies are now integrating digital video connectors such as HDMI into their budget systems, but the L305D still uses only the VGA connector.
One nice aspect of the Satellite L305D is the ATI Radeon integrated graphics solution. While this is not the equivalent of a dedicated graphics processor, it is a step above the solutions available from Intel. It does not have the power to really make the Satellite L305D a PC gaming platform, but it is capable of some casual and older PC games that other budget laptops are unable to do.
Consumers should be aware that performance of the Satellite L305D may be a bit sluggish when it is first purchased. This is due to the large amount of trailware that is preloaded onto the computer system. Removing unwanted trial applications will make the system more responsive and a bit more stable.