The Bottom Line
- Well Priced
- eSATA Port
- Full Size Keyboard With Numeric Keypad
- Really Could Use HDMI Port
- Weak Speakers
- Does Not Support 802.11n Wireless
- Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 3GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory
- 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner With Labelflash Support
- 15.6" WXGA (1366x768) Display With 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
- Intel GMA 4500MHD Integrated Graphics
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, Fast Ethernet, 802.11b/g Wireless
- Three USB 2.0, eSATA, VGA, 5-in-1 Card Reader
- 15.1" x 10.2" x 1.6" @ 6 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium, Works, DVD MovieFactory, Norton Internet Security
Guide Review - Toshiba Satellite L505-S5969 15.6-inch Budget Laptop PC
Oct 16 2009 - At first glance, the Toshiba Satellite L505-S5969 doesn't appear all that different from many of the other budget laptops on the market. It shares much of the same base components including a Pentium Dual Core T4200 processor, 3GB of DDR2 memory, 320GB hard drive and dual layer DVD burner. What really is surprising about this laptop though is that it can be found for $500 while much of the competition with similar features are nearly $100 more.
With the 15.6-inch screen, the Satellite L505 has a fair amount of space for the keyboard that includes a numeric keypad. This includes the four arrows keys and not having to shorten the width of any of the right shift keys like some companies have had to do. The trackpad is a flush design that is differentiated by a texture compared to the rest of the palm rest area. This may be difficult for some individuals to use without glancing down at the keyboard.
In terms of peripheral connections, the Satellite L505-S5969 is mixed. On the one hand, there is a combo USB/eSATA port that can be used with high speed external SATA hard drives for extremely fast storage that makes backing up the system extremely easy. While this new technology connector is included, Toshiba did not include a HDMI connector for use with new HDTV or digital computer monitors.
The speakers lack much bass that one might expect from a laptop of this size. The system only comes equipped with an 802.11b/g wireless adapter rather than using one compatible with the recently ratified 802.11n high speed format.
Overall though, the low price and features of the Satellite L505-S5969 make it a very solid value for those on a tight budget as long specific connectors aren't required.