The Bottom Line
- Faster Core 2 Duo Processor With 4GB of DDR2 Memory
- Larger Hard Drive
- Wide Range of Peripheral Connectors
- Slightly Larger and Heavier Due to 16-inch Screen
- Could Really Use HDMI Output
- Fair Amount of Trialware
- Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory
- 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner With Label Flash Support
- 16" WXGA (1366x768) Display With 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
- Intel GMA 4500MHD Integrated Graphics
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, Fast Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless
- Four USB 2.0, eSATA, FireWire, VGA, ExpressCard/54, 5-in-1 Card Reader
- 15.1" x 10.5" x 1.5" @ 6.5 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Works, Ulead DVD, Norton 360
Guide Review - Toshiba Satellite A355-S6925 16-inch Budget Laptop PC
Apr 20 2009 - The Toshiba Satellite A355-S6925 offers a fair level of performance for a low cost laptop. Instead of use the Pentium Dual-Core processors like many others, they decided to use the Core 2 Duo T6400 with its larger cache to give it an edge in performance. They also included 4GB of the PC2-6400 DDR2 memory to provide this system with less chance of a slow down from the memory systems.
Storage is also very good for the Satellite A355-S6925. Rather than the more typical 250GB hard drive, Toshiba has elected to use the larger 320GB drive that allows the system to hold more programs and data. The dual layer DVD burner also has the ability to burn labels directly to Label Flash compatible media but this is more difficult to do as the media is not as common as the competing LightScribe format.
The 16-inch display is a tad larger than the more common 15.4 to 15.6-inch displays yet with the same 1366x768 resolution found in the 16:9 aspect ratio displays. This makes the screen a bit easier to read for those with lesser eyesight but it does increase the overall size and weight of the laptop. The integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics also really prevent it from being used for 3D gaming.
Probably the best aspect of the Satellite A355-S6925 is the inclusion of peripheral connectors not typically found in budget laptops. This includes a FireWire port for using with digital camcorder or storage devices and eSATA for high performance external storage. The only downside is that Toshiba did not include an HDMI video output for use with newer digital monitors and HDTVs.
Overall, the Satellite A355-S6925 may be a bit on the expensive side of budget laptops, but it makes up for it with better performance and more overall features.