The Bottom Line
- Extremely Large Hard Drive
- Strong Dual Core Processor
- Shorter Than Average Battery Life
- Case Easily Shows Smudges and Scratches
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 TL-60 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory
- 250GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
- 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) Wide LCD Display with 1.3MP Webcam
- ATI Radeon X1200 Integrated Graphics
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11b/g Wireless
- Four USB 2.0, One FireWire, ExpressCard/54 Slot, 5-in-1 Card Reader
- 14.3" x 10.6" x 1.6" @ 5.8 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium, MS Works, McAfee Internet Security
Guide Review - Toshiba Satellite A215-S6804 Budget Laptop PC
4/16/08 – AMD processors are fairly common in budget oriented computers these days. They offer a very strong value in terms of performance for the dollar. While the Athlon 64 X2 mobile processors can't top the Core 2 Duos, they do perform just as well as Intel's budget Pentium Dual-Cores. In the case of the Satellite A215-S6804 laptop, Toshiba has chosen the fairly powerful TL-60 model that gives it some of the best performance in its price range. The drawback is that it does draw a bit more power that shortens the battery life compared to the TK-57 models more common to this price segment.
The most amazing part of the Satellite A215-S6804 is its storage. Most companies are offering 160GB hard drives with their budget notebook systems. Toshiba has deiced to include a 250GB drive in this notebook that provides it with nearly 50% more storage than the competition. This is great for those that like to store a large amount of digital media files that can quickly eat up hard drive space. A dual layer DVD burner handles all CD and DVD playback and recording.
The 15.4-inch wide screen LCD display is pretty much the normal size for the budget laptop market now. The bezel for the screen also houses a 1.3 megapixel web camera. The ATI Radeon X1200 integarted graphics are a step up from the Intel integrated graphics, but don't expect much in terms of 3D performance for PC gaming.
Like previous generations of the Toshiba A series designs, the A215-S6804 continues to use the plastic casing on the outer screen shell. While attractive when the systems are new, this design easily shows smudges and scratches because of the dark color and contrasting plastic coating.