The Bottom Line
- Fastest DVD+R Burner Available
- Good Overall Recording Performance
- Strong Software Package
- Lackluster DVD-R Write Performance
- 18x DVD+R and 16x DVD-R Recording Speeds
- 8x DVD+R and DVD-R Dual Layer Recording Speeds
- 8x DVD+RW and 6x DVD-RW Recording Speeds
- 16x DVD-ROM Reading Speeds
- 48x CD-R and 32x CD-RW Recording Speeds
- 48x CD-ROM Reading Speeds
- 100ms CD and 150ms DVD Access Times
- 2MB Buffer and IDE Interface
- Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 Basic and PlexTools Software
Guide Review - Plextor PX-760A 16x DVD DL Burner
5/18/06 – Plextor has released several products previously that claim performance increases over other brands with standard compatible media. In the case of the new Plextor PX-760A, they claim that the drive should be able to record at 18x speeds with standard DVD+R media. Beyond this, the drive meets the specifications found in many other burners available.
While the drive can reach 18x speeds with DVD+R media, the drive is rated at 16x for DVD-R. Dual layer support is at 8x for both formats while rewritable performance remains at 8x for DVD+RW but is at the lower 6x for DVD-RW media. CD performance is also listed as being quite strong with 48x CD-R and 32x CD-RW support.
During testing of the Plextor PX-760A, the drive was consistently among the fastest at recording each of the various media types. The drive only faltered at these high speeds when dealing with 16x DVD-R media where it come in below average. In addition, the drive also was able to achieve its very aggressive access time numbers. CPU usage was also quite low.
One other feature that Plextor has is a listing of compatible media types tested with their drives for optimal write performance. This list can be found at Plextor's support site.