The Bottom Line
- Good Range of Options from Budget to Gaming
- Lots of Expansion Ports and Connectors
- Well Priced with Incentives
- Limited Software Bundle
- Quality Control and Support Need to Improve
- Intel Core Duo T2250 Mobile Processor
- 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 Memory
- 100GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
- 17" WXGA+ (1440x900) Wide Screen LCD
- ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 with 256MB Graphics
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, 10/100 Ethernet and 802.11a/b/g Wireless
- Six USB 2.0, FireWire, 5-in-1 Card Reader, ExpressCard/54
- 15.5" x 11.3" x 1.6" @ 7.7 lbs.
- Windows XP Home, McAfee Security Center, Word Perfect Word Processor
Guide Review - Dell Inspiron E1705
The Inspiron E1705 is a very verastile desktop replacement system depending upon what users want out of it. This is one of its biggest strengths but also one of its weaknesses. Consumers need a clear idea of what the computer will be used for when they purchase it. After all, it can be purchased in a very limited budget configuration all the way up to a gaming class notebook.
The system I looked at is a good overall system. It performs well in all areas, but doesn't excel at any particular one. For example, the Core Duo T2250 processor is fairly new and tends to fall on the lower scale of the mobile processors. It still does really well for multitasking, but it can lag behind other versions for more intensive applications.
Storage is average for a desktop replacement system. A single 100GB hard drive with a 5400rpm spin rate balances between storage capacity, performance and battery life. The 8x DVD+/-RW dual layer burner is pretty standard on most computers now for reading or writing CDs and DVDs.
Graphics can be vastly different between E1705 notebooks. On the low end is the integrated GMA950 that basically will do basic 2D and 3D ok, but sacrifices some system RAM. In the middle is the Radeon X1400 that allows for better 3D applications, but don't expect to game in high resolution and detail. Finally, there is the option for the GeForce 7900 GS that allows for high quality gaming.