The Bottom Line
- Excellent Price
- Extremely Fast 3D Graphics Processor
- Battery Extends Out Rear or Laptop Rather Than Flush
- Heavy Use Of Glossy Plastics That Show Smudges and Scratches Easily
- Could Use Higher Resolution LCD Panel
- Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 4GB PC3-8500 DDR3 Memory
- 320GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner With Labelflash Support
- 17" WUXGA (1440x900) Wide LCD With 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
- NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS Graphics Card With 1GB Memory
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless
- Three USB 2.0, FireWire, eSATA, HDMI, ExpressCard/54, 5-in-1 Card Reader
- 15.8" x 11.8" x 1.7" @ 9.1 lbs
- Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Works, Power2Go, Norton 360
Guide Review - Gateway P-7805u FX 17-inch Gaming Desktop Replacemnt Laptop PC
1/9/2009 - The Gateway P-7805u FX is a Best Buy exclusive laptop that brings mobile PC gaming to new and surprising affordability. While it isn't going to be the fastest or flashiest 17-inch gaming notebook, it is more than capable at playing all of today's 3D games and then some.
While many 17-inch laptops use fairly high end processors, Gateway has elected to use a more middle range Core 2 Duo P8400 mobile processor. While it won't be able to put out the same performance numbers as the newer P9000 or T9000 processors, it still performs quite well. Gateway also equips the P-7805u FX with 4GB of fast DDR3 memory. This is especially surprising in a laptop that costs just over one thousand dollars.
Storage has been improved on the P-7805u FX compared to previous models. It has been upgraded to a more industry standard 320GB hard drive spinning at the 7200rpm desktop rate. This gives it a large amount of speedy storage space. It does use a more traditional dual layer DVD burner rather than a newer Blu-ray drive but it helps keep the costs down.
Since the P-7805u FX is designed for gaming, graphics are the most important aspect of the laptop and Gateway doesn't disappoint. The NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS graphics processor can handle all of today's latest PC games without so much of a problem. The 1GB of graphics memory also allows it to run at very high resolutions or with extra filters. The screen with its 1440x900 resolution is a bit low for such a high end graphics processor and it would be nice to see a higher resolution panel. (Note: some early models did ship with 1920x1200 resolution panels.)
Even with the panel confusion, the Gateway P-7805u FX is probably one of the best values on the market today.