The Bottom Line
- Blu-ray Combo Drive
- Very Large Hard Drive
- Uses Slower DDR2 Memory
- Larger LCD Display Makes System Less Portable
- Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory
- 500GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- Blu-Ray ROM Player and DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner Combo Drive
- 18.4" WUXGA (1920x1080) Wide LCD Display Eith 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
- NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT Graphics With 512MB Memory
- Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless and Bluetooth 2.0
- Four USB 2.0, FireWire, eSATA, HDMI v1.3, ExpressCard/54, 5-in-1 Card Reader, Fingerprint Reader
- 17.2" x 11.3" x 1.7" @ 8.9 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Works, Photosmart Essentials, AutoProducer, Cyberlink DVD Suite, Norton Internet Security 2008
Guide Review - HP HDX18-1020us 18.4-inch Entertainment Desktop Replacement Laptop PC
1/10/2009 - HP's HDX18-1020us is the larger of the two HDX class notebooks with its 18.4-inch LCD screen. This screen plays an important part in the laptops design because HP markets it as a premium entertainment laptop computer. What they mean is the laptop supports true high definition video thanks to the 18.4-inch screen with a resolution of 1920x1080. This is the 16:9 aspect ratio used by video compared to the more traditional 16:10 for computers.
To support this premium entertainment label, the HDX18-1020us comes equipped with a Blu-ray combo drive. This allows it to playback any Blu-ray movie on the system as well as watch or record DVD and CD media. Of course, you can also store video files on the systems hard drive thanks to the use of the new class of 500GB laptop drives. This gives it a good 50% more storage space than a traditional 320GB drive.
In terms of the desktop replacement realm, the HDX-1080us is not a high performance system. It has respectable performance but not class leading. The Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 provides it with a good level of performance while maintaining decent battery life. One disappointing aspect is the use of the older DDR2 memory standard instead of the newer, faster DDR3 memory. This was likely done by HP to help reduce the costs of the system with all its other media features.
To additionally support the media features, HP has included a HDMI v1.3 connector to allow the HDX18-1020us to be connected to any HDTV or home theater system for full HD playback with 7.1 audio. They also include a media remote that is conveniently stores in the ExpressCard/54 slot. Finally, there is the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics that help it to fully render high definition video streams and even handle PC gaming.