The Bottom Line
- Quad Core Processor
- Lots of Memory
- Large Hard Drive
- Could Use Blu-ray Drive
- Display Falls Short of 1080p
- Glossy Coating Easily Shows Fingerprints and Smudges
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 Quad Core Mobile Processor
- 6GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory
- 500GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x Dual Layer DVD Burner With LightScribe
- 17.3" WSXGA+ (1600x900) LED Display With 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
- ATI Radeon HD 4650 Graphics With 1GB Memory
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless, Bluetooth
- Four USB 2.0, eSATA, FireWire, HDMI, VGA, ExpressCard/54, 7-in-1 Card Reader
- 16.2" x 10.9" x 1.7" @ 7.7 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Works, HP MediaSmart, Cyberlink DVD Suite, Norton Internet Security
Guide Review - HP Pavilion dv7-2180us 17.3-inch Desktop Replacement Laptop PC
Jul 16 2009 - With a marketing tag as an "Entertainment Notebook PC", one would expect big multimedia features on the Pavilion dv7-2180us such as a Blu-ray drive, a high definition display and maybe even a digital TV tuner. Unfortunately, these are not things you will find in the laptop from HP but it does offer a few key alternatives for its $1350 price tag.
Most notable of the features on the Pavilion dv7-2180us is the new Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 quad core mobile processor. This does run at a slower 2.0GHz clock rate similar to a P7350 processor but with twice the number of processors. The benefit is that it can run more applications without slowdowns and deal with multithreaded applications such as video editing faster than many higher clocked dual core processors. The 6GB of memory also help with these tasks although HP is using the less expensive PC2-6400 DDR2 memory over newer DDR3.
Another feature that really benefits users is the larger 500GB hard drive. This gives the system more than 50% more storage space compared to many desktop replacement systems. As noted earlier, the system does not have a Blu-ray drive but relies on a DVD burner. The drive does support burning directly to LightScribe compatible media.
The Pavilion dv7-1280us features an unusual 17.3-inch display that uses a 16:9 aspect ratio display. The 1600x900 resolution fails short of the high resolutions displays capable of display a full 1080p high definition video feed found on many other desktop replacements. At least the Radeon HD 4650 dedicated graphics give it a relatively good 3D graphics performance although the 1GB of memory is a bit overkill for it.
Overall, this makes the Pavilion dv7-2180us a decent general performance desktop replacement but far from an entertainment laptop one expects in this HD video age.