The Bottom Line
- Extreme 3D Performance Graphics
- Excellent Speakers
- Well Priced For Hardware
- Much Bulkier Than Average Desktop Replacement
- Terrible Battery Life
- Could Use High Resolution Graphics
- Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 4GB PC3-8500 DDR3 Memory
- 320GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
- 17" WSXGA+ (1680x1050) Wide LCD With 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
- Dual NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS Graphics With 512MB Memory in SLI Configuration
- v.92 56kbps Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless and Bluetooth 2.0
- Four USB 2.0, eSATA, FireWire, ExpressCard/54, DisplayPort, HDMI, 5-in-1 Card Reader
- 16.2" x 12.0" x 2.5" @ 9.1 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Works, Toshiba Suite, DVD MovieFactory, Norton 360
Guide Review - Toshiba Qosmio X305-Q706 17-inch Gaming Desktop Replacement Laptop PC
1/16/2009 - Toshiba's Qosmio X305 differs from previous versions of the product line. This one is strictly designed as a mobile gaming workstation. The first clue should be the red case with flame design to give the impression of its red hot performance. The other clues that one will notice is its very large size needed to house all the graphics components and its really poor battery life.
The Qosmio X305-Q706 achieves its superb graphics performance thanks to two NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS graphics cores that are linked together in an SLI configuration. Even one of these graphics cores offers more performance than one generally sees in a 17-inch laptop. By using two of them, they are able to achieve incredible frame rates at extremely high resolutions and with filters enabled. It is really too bad then that Toshiba opted to use a fairly middle range 1680x1050 panel with this. Users will get much better results with external displays via the DisplayPort or HDMI connectors.
Performance outside of the graphics is good but not outstanding. Inside the Qosmio X305-Q706 is the Intel Core 2 Duo P8400. This doesn't quite keep up with newer 9000 series processor but does a respectable job. Thankfully Toshiba decided to use DDR3 memory for improved memory performance over older but less expensive DDR2.
The biggest surprise with the Qosmio X305-Q706 is the price. While still fairly high in terms of today's market, it is actually quite reasonable when it comes to such high performance graphics hardware. Still, the system is very specialized such that only those looking to use it for PC gaming on the go will really benefit from it. It's size and battery life just make it a poor choice for a general purpose desktop replacement.