The Bottom Line
- Full Gigabyte Memory
- Large Capacity Hard Drive
- Good Software Package
- Slower Speed Hard Drive
- Slightly Slower Processor
- Intel Pentium M 740 (1.73GHz) Processor
- 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 Memory
- 100GB 4200rpm ATA Hard Drive
- DVD+/-RW DL Burner
- 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) LCD Display
- Intel GMA 900 Integrated Graphics with 128MB Shared Memory
- v.90 56Kbps Modem, 10/100 Ethernet and 802.11g Wireless
- Four USB 2.0, FireWire, Type II PC Card Slot and 6-in-1 Media Reader
- 14.1" x 10.2" x 1.6" @ 6.5 lbs.
- Windows XP Home, Works 8, Money, Encarta, Norton Internet Security, WinDVD, iTunes
Guide Review - HP Pavilion dv4270us
11/17/05 - The Pavilion dv4270us is powered by the Intel Pentium M 740 (1.73GHz) processor. This is a bit slower than the average thin and light notebook configuration, but most users won't notice much of a performance difference. The big advantage to the dv4270us is the memory configuration. Rather than using the standard DDR memory and 512MB, they have included a full gigabyte of PC2-4200 DDR memory that should let the notebook run very smoothly with even memory intensive applications.
Storage is quite strong for the dv4270us. A large 100GB hard drive provides plenty of space for applications and files. The drive does spin at a lower 4200rpm spin rate that reduces performance slightly. The system can create data, music or movie DVDs or CDs with its included DVD+/-RW burner. It even supports dual layer media recording. A 6-in-1 media card reader is included to use with the majority of digital peripheral memory cards.
Multimedia applications for notebooks are becoming really big and wide screen LCDs are becoming standard fare. The dv4270us uses a 15.4” LCD display that is great for watching DVD movies or having a wider workspace. The multimedia controls allow the system to quickly access movies with the HP Quickplay function.
About the only real drawback to the Pavilion dv4270us is the lack of a dedicated graphics processor. If it had this, it would definitely be worthy of a five star rating.