The Bottom Line
- Four Gigabytes of Memory
- Very Well Priced
- Excellent Keyboard
- Palm Rest Gets Hot With Extended Use
- Odd Hard Drive Partitioning
- Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 4GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory
- 250GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
- 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) Wide LCD with 1.3MP Webcam
- NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS Graphics with 256MB Memory
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11a/b/g Wireless, Bluetooth 2.0
- Three USB 2.0, One FireWire, ExpressCard/54, 6-in-1 Card Reader
- 14.3" x 10.3" x 1.4" @ 6.4 lbs.
- Windows Vista Home Premium
Guide Review - Lenovo IdeaPad Y510 Thin and Light Notebook
5/22/08 - Lenovo's IdeaPad Y510 uses an older Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 mobile processor. This helps keep the costs down, but it also gives it slightly lower performance than newer 7000 and higher series parts. Performance is still quite strong, especially since it includes four gigabytes of memory. This lets the system run through the Vista operating system without any complications.
The storage has some odd aspects to it with the IdeaPad Y510. For some reason, Lenovo has partitioned the sizable 250GB hard drive into a small partition for the Vista operating system and a large 200GB data partition. This can be corrected within Vista, but it is a very odd setup unless Lenovo does it for some sort of recovery application. The drive also resides under the palm rest and after extended usage, makes the palm rest quit warm that it may be uncomfortable to use for some people.
Graphics are pretty good on the IdeaPad Y510. The 15.4" display is restricted to only a 1280x800 display option, but this is plenty for most notebook users. The GeForce 8600M GS graphics allow it to handle most graphics applications without too much problem but might be a bit low for heavy gaming. The LCD panel itself is quite bright and colorful. It does have a fairly glossy surface that will generate glare in certain conditions though.
What makes the IdeaPad Y510 such a great deal though is its price. It has some exceptional features such as Bluetooth, lots of memory and dedicated graphics for an extremely reasonable price. Definitely something to consider if you don't mind the odd hard drive setup.