The Bottom Line
- Faster 3D Graphics Suitable For High Performance Gaming
- Relatively Thin and Light for Gaming Focused Laptop
- Full Size Keyboard With Numeric Keypad
- Fairly Weak Speakers
- Keyboard Flexes Too Much
- Only Two USB Ports
- Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 Dual Core Processor
- 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory
- 320GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
- 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) Display With 2.0 Megapixel Webcam
- NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS Graphics With 1GB Memory
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless, Bluetooth
- Two USB 2.0, FireWire, eSATA, VGA, HDMI, ExpressCard/54, 4-in-1 Card Reader
- 14.1" x 10.2" x 1.2" @ 5.6 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium
Guide Review - MSI GT627-216US 15.4-inch Thin and Light Laptop PC
May 20 2009 - One would expect a gaming laptop to put a high end processor to drive the system. The MSI GT627-216US uses a more modest Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 dual core mobile processor combined with 4GB of PC2-6400 DDR2 memory. This helps keep the $1100 price well below many other gaming centric laptops yet still provide it without enough performance to handle today's games without too much problem.
Of course, the graphics are just as important to gaming as the processor. This is where the MSI GT627-216US has the edge on many similarly priced systems. It uses the NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS graphics processor with 1GB of video memory. This can easily drive all of today's games up to the 1280x800 resolution of its 15.4-inch display without any issue. It does allow for use of high end filtering to improve the overall look of games.
Gamers might be a bit disappointed with the systems sound though. The speakers don't have the same level of volume or low level performance that one would expect. This can be compensated with external speakers or headphones.
One surprising aspect of the GT627-216US is the use of a full sized keyboard layout including a numeric keypad. This is very useful for many gamers, but there are a few compromises such as smaller function keys and a bit too much flex in the middle of the keyboard area giving it a somewhat spongy feel.
While most 15.4-inch laptops have started to increase in their overall size and weight, the GT627-216US is surprisingly thin and light for its performance. It comes in at just 1.2-inches thick and a weight nearly a pound less than similarly priced laptops.