The Bottom Line
- Excellent Price
- Strong 3D Graphics
- Wide Range of Peripheral Connectors
- Bulky and Heavy Compared to 15.4-inch Laptops
- Glossy Screen Difficult to Use In Certain Lighting Conditions
- Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory
- 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner with LightScribe
- 16" WXGA (1366x768) Display with 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
- NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT Graphics with 512MB Memory
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless, Bluetooth 2.0
- Four USB 2.0, FireWire, eSATA, HDMI, ExpressCard/54, 5-in-1 Card Reader
- 14.9" x 10.4" x 1.7" @ 7.1 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium 64-bit, MS Works, autoProducer, Cyberlink DVD Suite, Photosmart Essentials, Norton Internet Security
Guide Review - HP Pavilion X16-1040us 16-inch Thin and Light Laptop
11/15/08 - The HP Pavilion X16-1040us is the first to use a larger 16-inch wide LCD panel that features a more HDTV 16:9 aspect ratio 1366x768 resolution. The display offers up very vibrant colors with its glossy bezel free design, but it also has the drawback of causing a fair amount of glare in certain lighting conditions. The system also is bulkier than 15.4-inch laptop offerings from HP and other companies.
If you can get past the size of the system and the highly reflective screen, the Pavilion X16-1040us has a lot to offer for its price. Performance is very strong thanks to the use of a new Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 processor. HP has included 4GB of memory that allows the system to run the Vista operating system and memory intensive applications without an issue. They used fairly fast PC2-6400 DDR2 memory that does well but does fall behind systems using the newer DDR3 standard. Still, the goal is to balance performance and cost.
Graphics are a key to the Pavilion X16-1040us and it does an exceptional job at handling 3D games thanks to the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics with 512MB memory. This lets the laptop run modern PC games without at the panel resolution. Some games don't necessarily like the 1366x768 resolution and will default to a lower 1280x960 resolution when playing.
One really nice aspect of the Pavilion X16-1040us is the wide range of peripheral connectors included on it. The four USB 2.0 ports allow it to use a large number of standard peripherals, but it also includes the new eSATA external storage connector for high speed data storage and an HDMI video connector for use with external monitors.
The net result of the Pavilion X16-1040us is a very powerful system for a reasonable price, as long as you don't mind its larger size.