The Bottom Line
- Above Average Sized Hard Drive
- Relatively Light for 15-inch Laptop
- Media Remote That Stores Inside ExpressCard Slot
- Glossy Bronze Color Keyboard Difficult to Read
- Display Highly Reflective Causing Excess Glare
- Fair Amount of Trialware
- AMD Turion X2 ZM-80 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 4GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory
- 400GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner With LightScribe
- 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) Display With 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
- ATI Radeon HD 3450 Graphics With 512MB Memory
- v.92 56kbps Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless
- Four USB 2.0, FireWire, eSATA, VGA, HDMI, ExpressCard/54, 5-in-1 Card Reader
- 14.1" x 10.2" x 1.7" @ 5.8 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Works, MediaSmart, autoProducer, Cyberlink DVD Suite, Norton Internet Security
Guide Review - HP Pavilion dv5-1250us 15.4-inch Thin and Light Laptop PC
May 18 2009 - The HP Pavilion dv5-1250us uses the bronze color scheme (not in picture). This is either going to be a love it or hate it deal with consumers. One thing that users should be aware of is this same glossy color scheme is also used in the keyboard. With the black lettering on the bronze keys, it can be difficult to read the letters for those that aren't trained in touch typing.
Powering the Pavilion dv5-1250us is the AMD Turion X2 RM-80 dual core mobile processor. This is a switch away from the Intel CPUs used in previous dv5 quick ship version. Performance is not quite up to the level of the Intel Core 2 Duo's found in most competing systems but for some this may not be a huge issue. The switch though allows it to cut the cost of the system several hundred dollars compared to many similarly equipped 15.4-inch laptops.
One bonus of the Pavilion dv5-1250us is the slightly larger 400GB hard drive. This provides roughly 25% more storage space over the more commonly used 320GB hard drives. A standard dual layer DVD burner is included but it also supports burning labels directly to LightScribe compatible CDs and DVDs.
The Pavilion dv5-1250us continues to use the glossy 15.4-inch display that produces a highly reflective surface that is difficult to use in certain lightning condition. The ATI Radeon HD 3450 isn't the fastest of graphics processors on the market, but it should be able to handle many games up to the panels 1280x800 resolution without much affects and at medium detail levels.
Many 15.4-inch laptops on the market these days typically weight above 6 pounds. It is nice to see that HP has kept the weight down to around 5.8 pounds. This makes the dv5-1250us one of the lighting models on the market that is easier to carry for extended periods of time.