The Bottom Line
- Excellent Pricing
- Extremely Large Hard Drive
- HD-DVD Drive
- White Keyboard Harder to Keep Clean
- Larger Dimensions
- Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory
- 300GB 4200rpm SATA Hard Drive
- HD-DVD Drive With CD/DVD Burner
- 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) Display With 1.3MP Webcam In Bezel
- NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Dedigated Graphics With 256MB Memory
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless
- Four USB 2.0, FireWire, HDMI, ExpressCard/54, Fingerprint Scanner, 5-in-1 Card Reader
- 14.9" x 11" x 1.5" @ 6.6 lbs.
- Vista Ultimate, MS Works, McAfee Internet Security, Toshiba Suite
Guide Review - Toshiba Qosmio F45-AV425 Multimedia Thin And Light Laptop PC
11/13/07 – Toshiba is one of the major backers of the HD-DVD storage format, so it isn't much of a surprise that they have included such a drive inside of the Qosmio F45-AV425 notebook. This allows the system to playback any HD-DVD movie or data disc. It does not have the ability to burn to this format, but it does support recording or playback to standard CDs and DVDs.
One of the surprising aspects of the Qosmio F45-AV425 is the hard drive. They have decided to include an extremely large 300GB hard drive. This is one of the largest notebook drives currently available. While it provides lots of space for programs and media, it does spin at a slower 4200rpm rate that decreases the performance somewhat.
The 15.4” LCD display uses a very standard 1280x800 widescreen resolution. It would be nice to have a higher resolution to take advantage of the HD-DVD movies potential, but the screen is very bright and easy to see. The graphics are handled by an NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics card that lets it support Direct X 10 and video acceleration. This can be used for 3D gaming, but it might have some issues with higher resolution textures and effects with its 256MB of memory compared to other laptops 512MB versions.
Powering the system is a Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 processor that is fairly standard for this segment. The 2GB of PC2-5300 DDR2 memory let it run smoothly even with the Vista Ultimate operating system installed.
There are only a few minor complaints with the Qosmio F45 design. The first is that its dimensions are significantly larger than many other thin and light notebooks. The other is that the white keyboard light while stylish can easily show dirt compared to the more traditional designs.