The Bottom Line
- Good Overall Performance
- Very Scratch Resistant Plastic Case
- Above Average Speakers
- Lots of Trialware Applications
- Case Finish Shows Fingerprints Easily
- Below Average Battery Life
- Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory
- 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner With Label Flash Support
- 16" WXGA (1366x768) Display With 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
- ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3650 Graphics With 512MB Memory
- v.92 56kbps Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless,
- Four USB 2.0, FireWire, eSATA, HDMI, VGA, ExpressCard/54, 5-in-1 Card Reader
- 15.1" x 10.5" x 1.5" @ 6.5 lbs.
- Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Works, DVD MovieFactory, Norton 360
Guide Review - Toshiba Satellite A355-S6944 16-inch Thin and Light Laptop PC
May 24 2009 - With its $1000 price tag, the Toshiba Satellite A355-S6944 offers fairly well rounded performance. The Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 dual core processor offers a strong level of performance with the 4GB of DDR2 memory. The key though is to remove the large amounts of trialware and applications that will bog down the system immediately after purchase. Expect below average performance if this is not done.
Storage on the A355-S6944 is actually quite small for the 16-inch laptop series with a more standard 320GB hard drive. Some versions of the system have up to 750GB of storage through the use of two hard drives. Don't expect to be able to easily drop in a second drive on this model though. The dual layer DVD burner has the ability to burn labels directly to Label Flash compatible media, but it is more difficult to find compared to the competing LightScribe format.
The 16-inch LCD display on the A355-S6944 provides a large display area that is easy to read but with only average performance when it comes to color, brightness and viewing angles. Driving the display is the ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3650 graphics with 512MB of memory. This allows the laptop to be able to play 3D games up to the 1366x768 resolution without too much trouble. Use of high level filters will vary depending upon application.
Battery life on the A355-S6944 is one area that might concern users. Even without the extra drive, the laptop has a below average running time with a little more than two hours from standard usage.
Toshiba uses their Fusion finish on the laptop that provides it with a very scratch resistant coating. The downside is that the glossy coating easily shows just about any fingerprint on the laptop marring an otherwise attractive finish.