The Bottom Line
- Very High Performance Processor
- Dedicated Graphics Processor
- System Can Get Quite Warm
- Battery Life Could Be Better
- Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory
- 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
- 13.3" WXGA (1280x800) Wide LCD With 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 Graphics With 512MB Memory
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless, Bluetooth 2.0
- Three USB 2.0, eSATA, HDMI, ExpressCard/54, 8-in-1 Card Reader, Fingerprint Scanner
- 12.2" x 9" x 1.4" @ 4.3 lbs.
- Windows Vista Home Premium, PowerDVD, Power2Go, Norton Internet Security
Guide Review - ASUS F6Ve-B1 13.3-inch Ultraportable Laptop PC
Mar 11 2009 - While many 13.3-inch laptops look to have long running times by using very energy efficient processor models with modest performance, ASUS has elected to use a high end Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 dual core processor in the F6Ve-B1. This gives the system some very strong performance. The system is held back somewhat by the use of older DDR2 memory compared to those that use DDR3. Still, the system puts up some impressive performance.
Another nice feature to the ASUS F6Ve-B1 is the use of a new generation ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 graphics processor. This dedicate processor isn't one of the faster models on the market, but with its 512MB of graphics memory, it should be able to handle casual 3D gaming and high definition video without much difficulty. It certainly is a step up from many similarly priced 13.3-inch laptops that tend to use integrated graphics solutions instead.
All of these performance features of the F6Ve-B1 do have their drawbacks. Most notable of these is the battery life that is below average for the 13.3-inch laptop segment. Real world usage will probably net slightly more than a two hour running time. The six cell battery also bulges slightly out of the back of the unit that makes the lines of the case not as smooth as it should.
Heavy usage on the F6Ve-B1 leads to the other drawback. The high performance components inside the laptop tend to generate a fair amount of heat that leads to the bottom getting quite warm. This is certainly not a laptop that one would really want to use in the lap.
Even with these downsides, the ASUS F6Ve-B1 has a very attractive price tag. With a price ranging around $1300, this is one of the least expensive laptops for its overall performance.