The Bottom Line
- Dedicated Graphics Card
- Strong Performance
- No Productivity Software
- Below Average Battery Life
- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory
- 160GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
- 12.1" WXGA (1280x800) Wide LED Backlit Display with VGA Webcam
- NVIDIA GeForce 8400M G Graphics with 128MB Memory
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless and Bluetooth 2.0
- Four USB 2.0, ExpressCard/54 Slot, HDMI, Fingerprint Scanner, 8-in-1 Card Reader
- 11.8" x 8.7" x 1.3" @ 3.5 lbs.
- Vista Business, Norton Internet Security, Nero Express, ASUSDVD
Guide Review - ASUS U6S-A1 Ultraportable Laptop PC
2/27/08 – Since ultraportable systems are generally about long battery life for a very small package, the designers tend to use low and ultra-low voltage processors. ASUS instead chose to use the standard Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 dual core processor. This along with the 2GB of PC2-5300 DDR2 memory provide the system with very strong performance but it causes more power consumption and as a result battery life that is below average for the ultraportable market.
Storage is average for a system that uses the standard 2.5-inch notebook drives. The 160GB of data is certainly much larger than that found in models using 1.8-inch drives but is still not up to he 250GB found on some laptops. The dual layer DVD burner is pretty much standard for most notebooks and handles all playback and recording of CDs or DVDs.
Graphics are one of the strong points of the ASUS U6S-A1. The system uses a 12.1-inch wide LCD that features a bright LED backlight. The surprising bit though is the inclusion of a NVIDIA GeForce 8400M G dedicated graphics processor. While it certainly doesn't have the performance for mobile 3D gaming, it is definitely a big step up for those using 3D applications or looking for video acceleration. Of course this can also be one of the reasons for the additional power drain and less than average battery life.
One item that people may love or hate is part of the luxury aspect of the ASUS U6S-A1. The wrist rest area of the notebook is covered in a leather wrap. Now this is definitely a step up in terms of comfort for long periods of typing, but some may not like the maintenance required to keep it looking clean.