The Bottom Line
- Strong Performance
- eSATA Port For High Speed External Storage
- Dedicated Graphics Processor
- Lacks FireWire Port
- No Productivity Software
- Slightly Below Average Battery Life
- Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 Memory
- 320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner
- 12.1-inch WXGA (1280x800) Wide LCD With VGA Webcam
- NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS Graphics with 256MB Memory
- v.92 56Kbps Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless and Bluetooth 2.1
- Four USB 2.0, eSATA, HDMI, ExpressCard/54, Fingerprint Scanner, 8-in-1 Card Reader
- 11.7" x 8.6" x 1.2" @ 3.5 lbs.
- Vista Business, Norton Internet Security, PowerDVD, Nero 7 Essentials
Guide Review - ASUS U6V-A1 Ultraportable Laptop Computer
9/8/08 - The ASUS U6V-A1 is essentially an updated version of the very well designed ASUS U6S design. Cosmetically it has no real difference and the exterior case and leather clad palm rest will either be a love it or hate it thing. About the only real external change to the system is the inclusion of a eSATA connector allowing it to interface with high speed external drives at the same speed as if they were installed internally. Great for extra storage at the office or home.
Internally is where most of the changes have taken place. The U6V-A1 uses the new Montevino processor and chipset. The Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 provides the system with a very strong performance that is probably one of the best in the ultraportable market. Combined with this is 4GB of PC2-6400 DDR2 memory. While the new chipset could have used DDR3 memory, the DDR2 is more affordable and still faster than the previous PC2-5300 used in past platforms. Both of these give the U6V-A1 some best in class performance.
Another great feature of the ASUS U6V-A1 is dedicated graphics. The ultraportable market typically uses integrated graphics to conserve on space and power. This has the drawback of more limited 3D and accelerated video performance. The NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS processor isn't going to let it be an extremely mobile gaming platform, but it can be used casually for gaming or accelerating high definition video. The drawback to this is that it does consume a bit more power and thus shortens the battery life somewhat.
The net result of the ASUS U6V-A1 is a very powerful platform for those looking to use an ultraportable as their primary computing platform. It may not be as thin or as light as something like the MacBook Air, but it certainly provides a lot more in features and performance.