The Bottom Line
- Excellent Display
- Large Number of Peripheral Ports for Such a Small System
- Battery Life While Good Not Up To Claims
- Extra Wide Trackpad Easy to Hit While Typing
- Intel Core 2 Duo SU9300 Ultra-Low Voltage Dual Core Mobile Processor
- 3GB PC3-8500 DDR3 Memory
- 120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- 13.3" WXGA (1280x800) Wide LED Backlist LCD With 1.3 Megapixel Webcam
- Intel GMA 4500MHD Integrated Graphics
- Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n Wireless, Bluetooth
- Three USB 2.0, HDMI, Express/34, 7-in-1 Card Reader, Fingerprint Scanner
- 12.2" x 8.9" x 1.2" @ 2.9 lbs.
- Vista Business
Guide Review - Samsung X360 13.3-inch Ultraportable Laptop PC
Mar 19 2009 - Samsung's X360 is an extremely light ultraportable laptop that is a direct competitor to Apple's MacBook Air. It certainly does provide a very light laptop with its 2.9 pound weight that makes it just slightly lighter than Apple's system but with a thicker profile at the hinge. In addition, much of the weight is focused on the back that makes it very back heavy.
In terms of performance, the Samsung X360 performs quite well thanks to the Intel Core 2 Duo SU9300 ultra low voltage processor combined with the three gigabytes of DDR3 memory. It does fall a bit short of the Lenovo Thinkpad X301 but the difference wouldn't be noticed by many people in real world usage. Battery life is good, but fall short of the ten hour optimal or even seven hour claim of Samsung.
The X360-34G version of the laptop comes equipped with a traditional hard drive that features 120GB of storage space. This is a good amount compared to most of the ultrathin laptops, but it is far short of what is found in most 13.3-inch laptops that use a traditional drive.
Probably the best aspect of the Samsung X360 is the display. Samsung has been making excellent LCD panels for many years. They have produced a superb LED backlit display for this laptop that easily stands out among its competitors for excellent color, contrast and very deep blacks. It is almost too bad that the system doesn't feature a DVD to make this a superb mobile video platform.
Unlike many other ultrathin laptops, Samsung did not skimp on peripheral ports for the X360. It comes with a total of three USB 2.0 ports and even features an ExpressCard/34 slot, 7-in-1 card reader and HDMI port. This laptop can certainly be expanded with external peripherals unlike others.